Today, there are a huge number of microphones that differ in their purpose, the principle of action, structure, as well as in the method of connecting a microphone to the various devices.
Let’s look at the mics that have a connection with the plug size 3.5 mm.
Sennheiser MKE 400
The new version of a super-cardioid unidirectional microphone VideoMic Rode from the Australian brand includes a high-performance anti-vibration mount Rycote Lyra. The microphone is designed for dubbing movies and is used in conjunction with modern digital cameras of a high level. The microphone is designed with the latest technology, the latest achievements, and the highest industry standards.
On-camera professional-gun microphone Rode VideoMic combines small size and reduced weight with an extended frequency range. The value of the self-noise of the microphone is significantly decreased. A switchable filter with two positions substantially reduces interference in the low-frequency range.
- 80 Hertz.
The three-position attenuator allows you to work in different modes: 0, -10 or -20 dB. To power the microphone the nine-watt battery is used. The charge level is controlled by a special indicator.
The microphone RODE VideoMic can be mounted on cameras with a standardized mounting or 3/8. The signal transmission is made via the connector stereo mini-jack 3.5 mm. The case is made of durable but lightweight plastic ABS. Reliability is provided by high-quality components and shock mount. The presence of windbreaks allows neutralizing the sound of the wind. For the updated model there is an anti-vibration mount Rycote Lyra, allowing to conduct the high-quality recording in motion.
Key features of Rode VideoMic:
- Acoustic principle: linear-gradient.
- Polar pattern: super-cardioid.
- Frequency range, Hz 40 … 20,000.
- Activated low-pass filter.
- Output impedance, Ohm 200.
- The level of sensitivity, -38 dB.
- Dynamic range, 114 dB.
- Signal and noise, 74 dB SPL.
- Noise equivalent, 20 dB SPL.
- Maximum SPL, 134 dB.
- Power: alkaline battery 9 V.
- Communication is via a 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack.
- Weight without battery 176 g.
- Good value for reasonable money.
- Durable and flexible.
- Have adjustable options.
- Good noise filter.
- Sturdy mounting.
- It requires high quality windscreen.
The Boya BY-M1 lapel microphone can be used with DSLR cameras and camcorders, external recorders, smartphones, tablets, etc.
Universality, reasonable price, and decent characteristics are the secret to the success of this model among photographers, videographers and bloggers.
This model has a standard 3.5mm plug with gold-plated contacts and a six-meter cord, allowing the sound engineer or operator to move a fairly large distance from the subject.
The microphone battery is located in a separate power unit with the ability to be turned off. Also, the microphone can be attached to clothing and the interior with a reliable clip.
In addition, the microphone is perfect for use in the studio, despite its compact size guarantees excellent sound quality with low noise.
Since the microphone has a 4-pin 3.5 mm jack, to connect to a camcorder, camera, computer, laptop, you need an adapter from 4 pin female jack to 3 pin male jack. For smartphones and tablets, no adapters are required.
- It provides a natural sound.
- Low handling noise.
- Compact size, durable housing.
- Some complaints about the quality of the lapel clip.
Sennheiser MKE 400
Sennheiser MKE 400 is a compact microphone for video recording. Its light weight (approximately 60 g with battery) makes it the perfect accessory for today’s cameras.
This is one of the smallest and lightest microphones. Sennheiser MKE 400 has a metal structure, 2 functions of sensitivity and a high-pass filter. The microphone can be attached to the camera’s hot shoe.
If you pick up a microphone, guided by practicality and compactness of products, this model is a good device for sound recording. It can be mounted on any camera equipped with a mount for an external microphone and microphone input.
Powered by one penlight batteries of type AAA.
- High-quality condenser microphone for reportage work and filming in full metal body
- Integrated stable fixation to prevent noise when you carry it.
- Foam cap of wind protection is included.
- Anti-vibration suspension of the capsule provides a high degree of suppression of contact noise.
- On/Off button with an indicator of the battery status.
- Effective noise suppression is out of the directional axis.
- Super-cardioid directivity.
- Connectors: 3.5 mm mini-jack.
- Appointment: for camcorders.
- Orientation: super-cardioid.
- Type: condenser.
- Frequency response: 40 – 20,000 Hz.
- Sensitivity: 8 – 20 dB.
- Dimensions: 130 x 21 x 62 mm
- Cord length: 0.2 m
- Power: battery AAA.
- Solid metal construction.
- Integrated windscreen.
- The maximum suppression of extraneous noise, optimized for video.
- Power supplies from AAA-type batteries (“tablet”).
- Too tiny.
This is a compact-camera condenser microphone for DSLR cameras which has built-in recording function.
The microphone can make the quality of record is very clear and understandable. The main feature of the model SHURE VP83F – it is an internal recorder that allows you to record audio as 24 bit / 48 kHz.
This model ignores any noise, and can also lead to qualitative entry vehicles. Files from this microphone are stored on a memory card MicroSD HC. Also, this mic can increase the microphone sensitivity, and manage all the files and playback options.
It is very easy to set up this microphone, using a special five-positional console and LCD display. Two microphone jacks 3.5 mm are provided – they are made to connect to the camera and headphones. The microphone power is produced from two batteries or AA batteries. The opening time of the microphone is at least 10 hours in continuous mode.
Easy to read LCD display with backlight gives you full control over the device activity, including audio performance levels, battery life, information about the track, the headphone volume, the level of microphone gain, the filter switch and the remaining recording time.
Features of SHURE VP83F:
- Sound quality: 24-bit / 48 kHz.
- Memory card: Micro SDHC.
- Hours: 10:00.
- Two connectors: 3.5 mm.
- Power supply: batteries or AA.
- Console: five-positional.
- The perfect combination of consumer qualities and price.
- It combines outstanding durability and excellent workmanship.
- It has a super-cardioid radiation pattern by which the microphone ignores sound sources that come from the outside.
- The camera is powered by two batteries.
- At low air temperatures may not turn on.
Audio-Technica ATR6550 – this is a condenser, unidirectional microphone-gun that has the ability to record stereo sound in a small, medium and large distances. The microphone features a stylish design that is compact, as well as a robust and reliable device. Ideal for use with video cameras, as well as other portable recorders.
Audio-Technica ATR6550 is a condenser microphone that shows its sensitive receptivity of your voice and ambient sounds. If you want to get a high-quality stereo recording to your video, there is nothing easier, fasten the microphone on the camera using special fastener (included) and connect it to the camera, simply and reliably. The microphone has a relatively wide frequency range of 70 -18000 Hz and a narrowly focused diagram perfectly capture the sound.
Two recording modes
This model differs two recording modes “Normal” and “Tele”. Normal – this mode is for the near and medium-sized records. Tele mode – thanks to super-cardioid directional pattern the mic is able to record sound at great distances. In addition, in the Tele mode, the microphone will remove excess noise, such as a car engine, humming of air conditioner, etc.
- Unidirectional and Super-cardioid diagrams.
- Compact and easy to use.
- Sensitive condenser microphone.
- Ideal for use with video cameras.
- Two recording modes (low, medium).
- Polar pattern: normal: single-minded focus / tele: super-cardioid.
- Sensitivity: normal: – 56 dB. tele: – 45 dB.
- Impedance: normal: 1000 Om / Tele: 2200 Om.
- Power supply: battery 1.5V.
- Frequency range: 70 – 18000 Hz.
- Output connector: 3.5 mm.
- Weight: 113 g.
- The microphone is compact, lightweight and cool linked with a digital camera.
- Well suited for shooting in a small room of average plan.
- Stereo sound, noise-canceling effect.
- The ability to switch recording modes.
- Cable quality.
- It works only on batteries.