Cardioid condenser microphones are usually the ones used for singing in a choir. They have very long cables – several meters, robust design that can withstand the vigorous stage life, and protection against interference, which makes the signal as clean as possible. Such microphones are usually available in neutral colors and therefore are unnoticeable on the stage.
Theater and choral microphones are equipped with a locking system of feedback. It prevents the formation of unpleasant, sharp noises that can occur during contact with a microphone. Cardioid condenser microphones usually have super-cardioid, cardioid or omnidirectional capsules, which can be replaced. In addition, there are usually some auxiliary accessories.
So, let’s take a look at the most popular models of choir microphones.
The magnificent studio condenser microphone SM 81 provides accurate detailed sound transmission. It is one of the best studio models in the world. The microphone is ideal for vocal ensembles, acoustic pianos, acoustic guitars, and much more. The SM 81’s almost linear frequency response can be changed with a built-in bass characteristic switch.
The microphone has a 10 dB attenuator, 150 Ohm resistance, and requires phantom power. The microphone can be equipped with a universal filter for vocal applications A81G.
Wide frequency range (20 Hz – 20 kHz), unidirectional cardioid directionality characteristics, a powerful output level (-65 dB, 0.56 mV). All these characteristics underline the uniqueness of SM 81. If you are looking for a dynamic vocal microphone, the SHURE SM81 offers the optimal solution for venues and home recording studios.
- Condenser microphone with cardioid directivity chart
- Built-in attenuator for 0/-10 dB level change for best tool operation
- External noise suppression with the integrated 3-point low-pass filter
- Equipped with a switch
- Type: capacitor
- Direction Diagram: Cardioid Diagram
- Phantom Power: 11-52 V DC
- Attenuator: 0/-10 dB
- LF cut-off filter: 3-position; 6 or 18 dB/oct.
- Frequency Response: 20 – 20000 Hz
- Impedance: 150 ohms
- Sensitivity (1000 Hz): -45 dB/Pa (5.6 mV/Pa)
- SPL: 136 dB at 1000 Hz
- Signal/noise ratio: 78 dB
- Connector: XLR
Shure MX202B/C – is a miniature theater and choral microphone with cardioids. The microphone has a flexible mounting, the length of which is 10 cm. The cord of the mic is 9 m. The electret condenser miniature microphone of the popular series MicroflexMX200 is produced by Shure company for scoring choirs and performances of artists on stage. This type of microphone is usually placed over the heads of the performers. The microphone has very high sensitivity and a wide frequency range of 50 Hz – 17,000 Hz. It allows you to use the microphone for scoring at concerts and in professional recording studios. The microphone is equipped with a flexible mount called “gooseneck”, the length of which is 10 cm.
The mic is created with the use of the best technologies of the company Shure (USA), which is known worldwide for its virtually ideal devices. Almost all types of Shure microphones are known for their quality and clear sound. If you want to buy a theater and choral microphone, SHURE MX202B/C is an optimal solution both for live and studio work.
The best solution for sound recording and the stage
The model is both simple and with a high level of functionality. All you need to do is to place and secure the microphone on the chorus and fix its position. For optimum performance, the microphone requires phantom power. This model comes with three types of microphone capsules: “C” – cardioid polar pattern, “S” – super-cardioid directivity, “O” – a circumferential direction.
Convenient flexible neck for precise direction of the microphone
The theatrical microphone has a flexible rod, the length of which is 10 cm. With the design of “gooseneck”, users can quickly and easily adjust the direction of the microphone to the sound source.
Cardioid directivity for removal of the sound from the singers
The cardioid microphone allows you to record the cleanest sound without extraneous acoustic noises. This is very important if you want to voice certain groups of performers.
Phantom power and external preamp
Like many professional microphones, MX202BP/C requires external phantom power (11 V to 52 V). Phantom power is usually required for the proper operation of a professional condenser and studio microphones.
Wide dynamic and frequency range
MX202BP/C has a wide frequency response (50 Hz to 17,000 Hz), and a wide dynamic range. The microphone provides the most accurate reproduction with minimal interventions, such as electromagnetic and radio frequency interference.
Wide dynamic range, stylish design that fits into any interior, the ability to change the toner cartridge and thoughtful features, SHURE MX202BP/C can be called one of the best options on the market. It will provide you with quality sound and durability.
- Device type: miniature condenser microphone;
- Frequency response: 50 Hz to 17,000 Hz;
- Polar pattern: cardioid;
- Output impedance: 150 Ohm;
- Actual output impedance of 180 ohms;
- Sensitivity: -35 dBV / Pa 18 mV;
- Signal/noise ratio: 66 dB;
- Noise level: 28 dB;
- Power supply: P\phantom (11 V to 52 V);
- Powered by DC 2 mA.
- Connector type: XLR;
- Cord Length: 9 meters;
- Flexible attachment size: 10 cm;
- Operating temperature range: from 18 to 57 degrees Celsius;
- The humidity level from 0 to 95 percent;
- Weight: 680 gr.
Rode M5 Compact 1/2 Condenser Microphone
This pair of matched microphones are produced by Rode – an Australian company that is known all around the world. The mics have a cardioid pattern. Just like other devices on this list, they are condenser which means they are highly sensitive to your environment. At the same time though there is excellent noise protection, so you can be sure that the devices will work fine both in studios and during live show performances. Choir, musical instruments… All the subtle details will be caught by these powerful sound machines.
- A small-diaphragm condenser microphone;
- Weight: 3.25 pounds;
- Dimensions: 16 x 5 x 12 inches;
- WS5 windshields and RM5 stand mounts.
Beyerdynamic MC930 – Stereo Set
Beyerdynamic MC 930 Stereo-Set is a set that consists of two condenser microphones MC 930 with a cardioid polar pattern, two windshields, two holders and a case. The frequency range of the microphones is 40-20 000 Hz; the signal noise ratio is 71 dB. The microphones are perfectly suitable for recording choir, orchestra, or solo instruments. With the windshield on, they can be used for recording vocals or speech.
The microphone Beyerdynamic MC 930 has a pre-attenuation of 14 dB. It will produce a high-quality recording even at high sound pressure. The mic is equipped with a switchable frequency filter – you can turn the high-pass filter with Q6 dB per octave and a frequency cutoff of 250 Hz and the proximity effect will be avoided. The microphone requires phantom power of 11-52 V, which will make it usable on concerts and in studios.
- A pair of high-quality microphones;
- Pre-attenuation mode: 14 dB;
- Switching frequency filter;
- Cardioid polar pattern.
- S/N ratio, dB 71;
- Frequency range, Hz 40 – 20000;
- Receiving sensitivity – 30 dB;
- Condenser microphone;
- XLR microphone connection method;
- Phantom power.
- Purpose: studio, concert;
- The direction of the microphone: unidirectional;
- Nominal impedance: 180 Ohm;
- Sound pressure: 125 dB/140 dB when the attenuator is on;
- Functions: LPF (Roll-off) 250 Hz, attenuator-15 dB;
- Housing material: metal;
- Weight: 115 g.
This is a great hanging condenser microphone with good protection against noise. It has a wide, flat frequency response that delivers unrivaled, natural sound quality. Cardioid microphone ASTATIC 900 minimizes the impact of feedback when using the sound-amplifying equipment. The microphone features a flexible gooseneck-type body which is made of plastic. It allows directing the microphone’s head to the right place for dubbing. The microphone is equipped with a 3-pin mini XLR connector and with a phantom power adapter. Also, ASTATIC 900 has a 10-meter cable.
Specifications of ASTATIC 900:
- Microphone type: condenser;
- Directivity: cardioids;
- Frequency range: 150Hz-20kHz;
- Resistance: 440 ohms;
- Max. SPL: 134dB;
- Power: 12-48V.
The Nady OHCM-200 is a condenser microphone for vocals, drums, percussion, recording, and broadcasting. It can be used as an overhead. It has a cardioid directivity diagram. This provides the largest suppression of feedback and unwanted sounds. The microphone has a smooth frequency response, high sensitivity. It can withstand high levels of sound pressure, providing a clear sound. It comes with a 6 m long cable with a power module and XLR connector.
- The low-mass electret condenser element
- Extended smooth, flat frequency response
- Transformerless low noise/high dynamic output
- Microphone type: capacitor
- Direction Diagram: Cardioids
- Frequency Response: 50-16000 Hz
- Sensitivity: -37 dB
- Resistance: 200 ohms
- sound pressure: 136 dB
- Signal/noise ratio: >60 dB
- Diaphragm: 20 mm
- Connection: XLR
- Phantom Power: 9-52 V
The AKG CHM99 pendant microphone is a new model that is easy to use and has the highest level of functionality. It is this condenser microphone that will be a simple and affordable solution for those who need to record choirs in religious buildings. Place the AKG CHM99 on the ceiling or a special beam, fix it in the right position. Remember that with a spring steel suspension you can adjust the angle of the microphone at any time, which is preferable for you.
If you want to record in stereo mode, then you will need two AKG CHM99 microphones.
Thanks to the 10m cable, you can place the AKG CHM99 as you want, resulting in the highest quality recording.
- Spring steel suspension, which provides the greatest directionality
- Compact solution for plug-and-play
- Wide pickup for unobtrusive pickup in difficult places
- Type: dynamic microphone
- Specifics: pendant
- Chart direction: cardioid
- Frequency range: 70 to 18,000 Hz
- Sensitivity: 18 mV/PA
- Sound pressure level, the largest: 125 dB
- Noise level: less than 21 dB
- Signal/noise: over 73 dB
- Phantom power: 9 to 52 V
- Connectors: 3-pin XLR
Samson CM12C is a miniature condenser microphone designed for hanging directly above a choir or orchestra. Due to its narrow specialization, it has an inexpensive price.
The microphone has a 10 m cable for suspension and a spring clip for fixing the orientation of the capsule.
This position of the steel bracket places the condenser microphone in the correct position, which allows you to transmit sound in high quality.
- Miniature hanging choral microphone;
- Cardioid pattern;
- Frequency range: 50Hz-18kHz;
- SPL 136 dB;
- Mini XLR connector;
- Black color;
- Steel hanging positioning bracket;
- Mini XLR to standard XLR adapter;
- Multilevel wind protection;
- Phantom power 9-52 Volts.
Audio-Technica PRO 45
Audio-Technica PRO 45 is a high-quality suspended condenser microphone with a wide frequency range and cardioid focus. A feature of this microphone is the built-in cable with an XLRM connector, designed to connect to a mixer/amplifier.
The cable length is 7.6 m, and therefore the microphone will be very convenient for suspension over a concert or theater stage.
Features of PRO 45:
- Superior performance due to the light diaphragm capacitor element used in the design.
- Autonomous electronics allowing the use of a microphone without additional power supplies.
- Smooth frequency response.
- For operation, the microphone needs a phantom power of 9-52 V.
- Miniature dimensions and weight.
- A long cord for suspension of the microphone over the stage (7.6 m).