What’s more important – image or sound? How often does sound quality affect the experience of watching a video? Well, we think the sound is crucial!
Of course, they say a picture’s worth a thousand words. But the intonation of the voice often conveys deep emotions and therefore assists in understanding the meaning of the occurring events. Each of us perceives sound differently, however, everyone is capable of distinguishing high-quality sound from low-quality. Therefore it is important to select a decent microphone for recording. Today we will discuss the best microphones for smartphones 2019.
Check also: Best microphones for iOS
Rode SmartLav+ is a pro lapel capacitor microphone, designed for working in different kinds of audio and video production: radio, television, cinema, interviews, conferences – wherever portability, convenience, and pro-quality are needed. All you need to do is set the microphone in the right place, connect it to a smartphone or a tablet via a standard connector and launch the RØDE Rec application for iOS or any other audio application that supports the functionality that you need.
The high-quality omnidirectional condenser capsule of SmartLav + is flexible in that it can be exploited in any place you want to. It is convenient to use the microphone in a broad variety of environments.
The microphone comes with a pop filter, which permits you to diminish wind noise and smooth out consonant sounds. Also, this model comes with a strong and convenient clip for fixing the microphone.
SmartLav is compatible with any audio application that can receive signals from the headset of your smartphone. However, it is worth keeping in mind that RØDE has created its own application for iOS devices to ensure the full functionality of the RØDE Rec microphone. The application transforms your iOS device into a full-featured recorder, with plenty of pre-programmed EQ presets. It is suitable for diverse recording conditions and has professional correction tools. In addition, there is the possibility to send the results to SoundCloud or Dropbox immediately, right from the application.
Features and characteristics:
- type: condenser;
- powered by smartphone;
- acoustic performance: constant polarization;
- capsule: 0.10;
- directional diagram: Circular;
- frequency range: 60 Hz ~ 18 kHz;
- output impedance: 3 ohms;
- maximum output level: 189 mV;
- maximum sound pressure: 110 dB SPL (@ 1 kHz, 1% THD at 1 kΩ load);
- own noise: <27 dB-A;
- sensitivity: -35dB (17.8mV @ 94dB SPL) ± 2dB 1V / Ra @ 1kHz;
- dimensions: 1180х4.5х4.5 mm;
- weight: 6.0g.
Saramonic SmartMixer Recording Stereo System
Saramonic SmartMixer is a compact audio mixer that includes two condenser microphones and input for the XLR microphone with the phantom power of 48 volts. There are also volume controls and a special place for fastening smartphone that has a comfortable grip. All of it permits you to record high-quality sound on your smartphone – iPhone or Android device.
The front panel of the Saramonic SmartMixer system includes buttons for switching on the gadget, switching on the phantom power, switching between stereo and mono, an LCD screen with the volume level indication and other details.
Features and characteristics:
- compatibility: tablets and smartphones iPhone/iPad/iPod of all versions operating on iOS or Android;
- two condenser electret microphones;
- inputs: miniXLR, 2 miniJack of 3.5mm, line inputs;
- phantom power: + 48V;
- output: 3.5mm headphones and smartphone;
- An LCD screen that demonstrates the signal level, type of signal and battery level;
- gain: 15 <dB;
- dynamic range: 20Hz – 20kHz;
- input level control: -18dB + 3dB with 3dB step;
- noise: 82dB @ 1kHz, -30dBu input;
- distortion: less than 0.03% @ 1kHz, -30dBu input;
- Rec/Play switch for monitor connector to headphones;
- aluminum handle and a smartphone holder;
- connector for “hot shoe” accessories;
- power: 9V CRONA battery with discharge indicator on the LCD screen;
- the body is made of aluminum alloy;
- dimensions: 298x95x35mm.;
- weight: 740g.
The world leader SHURE has gone far ahead from its competitors in the field of innovative acoustic systems and professional microphones for studio sound recording, TV, and radio broadcasting. The brand is known in all corners of the world.
MV88 is a portable microphone that is widely used for removal of a full range of sound vibrations in the surrounding space, providing listeners with complete immersion in what’s being said or sung. The producers use two types of cartridges in one housing. It permits you to configure the directional pattern and cut unnecessary, undesirable noises on the sides and from the back of the sound source. The embedded stereo matrix provides a unique, realistic sound.
The MOTIV ™ series is ideal for recording podcasts, YouTube videos, and more. There is no need to have professional skills in order to use it. Just connect the mic to your laptop, tablet or smartphone, install the software and start the audio stream or audio recording right to your gadget or to a cloud.
- easy integration with portable devices;
- ultra-compact dimensions;
- no interference and noises;
- exemplary frequency response;
- clean and clear sound;
- affordable price.
- one capsule – frontal cardioid pattern; two capsule – two-directional pattern;
- Mid-Side configuration of the capsule provides excellent mono compatibility as well as correction of the stereo image of the sound;
- 10-mm capsules for better sounds produced by instruments or performers’ voices;
- the spatial position adjustable within 90° – optimized directivity of the microphone;
- convenient for recording interviews with splendid speech level of both participants in the dialogue;
- condenser type of cartridges;
- autoconfiguration when connected;
- five DSP presets (modes) for adaptation to different sources of sound – speech, singing, quiet and acoustic music, loud music and orchestra;
- 16/24-bit encoding with a sampling frequency of 44.1/48 kHz;
- excellent sound removal from a distance;
- ready to operate anywhere and anytime;
- 5-band equalizer, compressor, and limiter;
- the best solution for home and travel;
- the best sound in its class;
- elementary integration with a PC based on Windows 7 or 8, MacOS 10.7-10;
- works with iPhone, iPod, iPad, supports iOS version 7.0 and later ones, the free ShurePlus ™ application;
- the best option for conducting Internet podcasts;
- the frequency range is 20 – 20000 Hz;
- the highest pro-level of audio remains even at a high SPL level, up till 120 dB;
- a windproof screen made of foam rubber for better protection against “breath effect” and wind;
- the case with a zipper;
- unique design with a very ergonomic construction;
- solid metal body in gray;
- low weight and ultra-compact dimensions make work easier.
Apogee MiC 96k
Apogee MiC is one of the most compact studio-quality microphones with USB support for MAC, iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. With it, you can record vocals or instruments and send them to the Apple GarageBand application. The model has volume controls and a rotary wheel, which is located in such a way that it was convenient for you to operate it with a thumb. You can change the level without looking at the gadget due to the LED indicators.
The integrated PureDigital technique helps to adjust the tone of voice or acoustic sound for iPad, iPhone, and Mac. The model is powered through a USB connector. The great metal design is a guarantee of long and reliable operation. The mic is made for recording vocals, acoustic performances, interviews, and audios for DSLR video.
Apogee MiC 96k is 3 in 1 – it can function as a microphone, a microphone preamplifier, and ADC. Apogee engineers thoroughly developed each of these components and therefore they all have exceptional quality. The Apogee MiC 96k provides the lowest noise level and the highest signal quality that a digital microphone can offer.
- highest quality recording;
- PureDIGITAL technology that provides clean and high-quality sound;
- designed for recording vocals and acoustic musical instruments;
- great for voice-over recording, interviewing and podcasting;
- recording with a quality of 96 kHz/24 bit;
- created for GarageBand on iPad and Mac;
- compatible with the guitar interface of JAM;
- 30-pin and Lightning cables included;
- table stand and clip enclosed;
- compact size and lightweight.
The American company MOVO appeared not so long ago and became known thanks to budget devices in the niche of audio equipment for musicians and video producers.
There are many budget microphones in the market, but among them, there are many very poor quality microphones with poor reviews. I decided to include the Movo VXR10 in our list of the best microphones because of this microphone with an excellent price/quality ratio.
The microphone has a metal base which makes it feel premium. It also includes a sturdy integrated shock mount which provides sturdy support and minimizes handling noise.
- Furry “Deadcat” Windscreen,
- Soft Case,
- 3.5mm TRRS Output Cable (For Smartphones, Tablets, and Mac).
VXR10 is ideal for use with a smartphone. It is lightweight and has a compact design. The microphone itself is great for the money. VXR10 is designed for use on the go.back to menu ↑
RØDE VideoMic Me
A budget compact model compatible with the iPad and iPhone will allow you to record high-quality video and audio. An adjustable adaptable mount allows you to use VideoMicMe together with different generations of iOS devices, which are connected through the TRRS connector.
The case of the microphone is made of cast aluminum and an additional anti-reflective coating of ceramic. It has an output for connecting headphones to control the recording process. In addition, the kit has an additional fluffy windshield, allowing you to record without problems regardless of the weather.
- compact size;
- lightweight – 34 grams;
- connect to the standard TRRS connector of the smartphone;
- a universal clip mount suitable for a variety of smartphones
- can be used both with the main camera and the front camera for selfies.
- the headphone jack allows you to listen to audio without having to disconnect the microphone;
- a fur windproof.
The Shure MV5 condenser microphone is a high-end audio device designed for Internet communication, podcasting, and sound recording. It will be useful in dealing with many problems. The model has the ability to wire not only to stationary computers (including Mac OS), but also to devices produced by Apple: iPhone, iPod, and iPad. In addition to the standard USB cable, the microphone is supplied with a cable with a Lightning 8-pin connector.
The microphone Shure MV5 has a sensitivity of 40 dB and the frequency range of 20-20000 Hz. At your service, there are 3 recording modes. It is possible to connect headphones. The table stand provides a reliable placing of the device on any horizontal surface. The microphone does not require additional power.
The dimensions of the Shure MV5 microphone – 65 x 67 x 66 mm, allow using it in confined spaces. The mass of the audio device is 90g. The model is packed in a stylish box, the design of which is done in the Shure style.
The main specifications of the microphone Shure MV5:
- frequency response: 20 – 20000 Hz;
- radiation pattern: cardioid;
- range of gain adjustment: 0 – 36 dB;
- sensitivity: -40 dBFS / Pa (at a frequency of 1 kHz);
- maximum sound pressure level: 130 dB;
- dimensions: 66 × 67 × 65 mm (without stand);
- weight: 90 g without stand and 160 g with stand.
Zoom IQ7 microphone is compatible with all Apple products. It is a functional and compact stereo device that can record with exceptional sound quality. Use Zoom IQ7 in any place convenient for you and enjoy the purest sound of recorded concerts, house vocals, or karaoke.
Full control over audio tracks
Zoom IQ7 microphone is equipped with a large controller, with which you are able to adjust the level of the input signal. The LED indicator will inform you about how clear the sound is. The microphone has a headphones jack that permits you to control the recording.
Do you want to change directionality while recording a sound? You can do it as many times as possible – just turn the microphone with light movements. Silent movements won’t affect the recording. There is no need to use the ‘mute’ button – the essential thing to know is not to cover the whole microphone.
This advanced technology will allow you to adjust the parameters of stereo sound without any processing. Two microphones pick up sound in 3 bands. 90° makes it possible to concentrate on the recording from the “center”. 120° – on a wider range of sound. The “MS” mode enables you to record a signal under any conditions. You can edit the recording using the free Zoom application in a handy iOS recorder.
Space capabilities for acoustic recording
The IQ7 design assumes two differently directed microphones. One of the microphones (Mid) uses a unidirectional recording method. This means that it captures the sound directly in front of it and does not perceive what is on the side and behind. The second is the bi-directional microphone (Side) – it is sensitive to the sounds in front of it and behind it. Thus, being perpendicular to the first microphone, it complements the sounds from the sides. We get a record of two tracks (stereo) and can mute any of them if necessary.
Zoom iq7 is compatible with all gadgets running on iOS 6 and older versions. The microphone comes with a special “lining” for a dense connection with Apple devices.
A lot of editing possibilities with the application Handy Recorder App
A free application from the Zoom company (available in the App Store) includes a large number of audio tools for editing records on your device. Tracks can be saved in PCM or AAC formats. You can apply built-in effects, such as compression, equalizer, and reverb. Handy Recorder allows you to send the already processed records by e-mail or upload them to SoundCloud. Share their creativity with friends!
- the possibility to rotate the microphone from 90 ° to 120 °;
- iQ7 operates with all iOS gadgets;
- free handy recorder application;
- the ability to protect the screen from the wind.
Boya BY-M1 microphone is designed to record sound (small reports, video podcasts). It easily turns your smartphone into a full-fledged voice recorder with high-quality audio recording or a powerful vlogger tool.
The Boya BY-M1 microphone is quite compact and convenient for transportation. For these purposes, there is even a special soft case in the kit. The technical characteristics of the microphone allow us to talk about the high quality of the device. So, its sensitivity is 30 dB, which ensures the capture of even quiet sounds. The range of captured frequencies is also quite wide – from 65 Hz to 18,000 Hz. This minimizes sound distortion. And wind protection eliminates unnecessary noise.
- High price/quality ratio;
- Clip-On Mic for Smartphones, DSLR, Camcorders, Audio recorders, PC etc;
- High signal to noise ratio (74 dB);
- High sound quality;
- Long enough cable.
The Boya BY-M1 microphone paired with a smartphone is well suited for both a vlogger and a journalist for recording interviews with quality that is suitable for broadcast, and for beginners and professional filmmakers.back to menu ↑
Line 6 Sonic Port VX
LINE 6 SONIC PORT VX is an audio device that can work with various Apple products. There are preamps and three studio class condenser microphones – stereo microphones located on the sides, made for recording in rooms with natural reverberation, and a mono microphone in the center, near the source of the sound.
LINE 6 SONIC PORT VX is good at recording vocals, electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and other instruments both on the road and at home. The device, according to the manufacturer, supports not just iOS, but also PC and Mac platforms. It comes with LINE 6 SONIC PORT VX Mobile POD software, designed for iOS.
The LINE6 SONIC PORT VX has a stereo line input and instrument input that connects drum machines, keyboards, DJ mixers, and other devices. There are also outputs for headphones and studio monitors. The audio interface is equipped with microphone sensitivity controls and a special toggle switch, which provides sound monitoring without delay. The device is powered by a USB bus but it is also possible to use an optional AC adapter, which, in addition to the interface, can power an iPhone or iPad connected via a Lightning cable.
LINE6 SONIC PORT VX package includes a smartphone stand a desktop stand with an adapter.
- an input for recording a guitar/bass, with a dynamic range of 110 dB;
- balanced stereo outputs used to connect studio motors;
- 3 tuned cardioid microphones of studio class;
- stereo input, designed for connecting DJ mixers, drum machines, recording keyboards;
- 3-platform support for PC, Mac, and iOS;
- microphone professional preamplifier with a sensitivity of 45 dB;
- monitoring without delay;
- groove for mounting on a microphone stand, an adapter, and a desk stand in the kit;
- charging is carried out via the mini USB bus;
- a free software effects processor designed for iOS.
Rode iXY is an excellent microphone for working with iOS devices. It has an integrated 24-bit analog-to-digital converter with a sampling frequency of up to 96 kHz. The microphone is capable of recording an amazingly pure saturated sound. The basis of the Rode iXY microphone is a pair of condenser capsules with a fixed 90 ° X/Y position. Thanks to these capsules, it is possible to record high-quality detailed sound. In the package, there are also wind protection and a cover for transportation.
Rode iXY is ideal for recording both music concerts in stadiums and singing or playing instruments in a home studio. Thanks to the Rode Rec software that has the ability to adjust the input signal, you get an excellent recording regardless of the sound source.
The built-in low-pass filter of the Rode iXY is able to minimize noise and interference caused by software control or touching hands. With the Rode Rec application, you can instantly put the recorded material on SoundCloud or Dropbox.
- microphone type: condenser;
- orientation: cardioid
- frequency range: 20-20000 Hz;
- sensitivity: 8.52 mV/Pa;
- sound pressure level: 120 dB;
- port connection: Apple Dock Connector;
- powered by iOS;
- wind protection included;
- size: 46×55 mm;
- weight: 40g.
A good microphone is a serious investment. If you do not want to feel uncomfortable during recording, give preference to high-quality equipment.